One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to an image.‘imaginal education methods’
- ‘These include cognitive, emotive, imaginal, and behavioural methods.’
- ‘Every perception enters an imaginal file, buds in arrest until swayed by a life-shifting rain or the blight of the news of an unknown person's death.’
- ‘Australian Aboriginal culture is about everything in the imaginal realm and everything in the natural environment.’
- ‘Our imagination is socially shaped; we get our repertoire of images from the society's imaginal world, though we also contribute to that world in turn.’
- ‘How do you make the richness of your imaginal life work for you - rather than against - in everyday reality?’
Relating to an adult insect or imago.
- ‘It was necessary to include these last two stages before the imaginal molt because development of alates was not completely synchronized; these nymphs and alates were present from April - mid August, when nuptial flights begin.’
- ‘Concurrently, the precursors of adult structures - the imaginal discs, imaginal rings, imaginal islands, and histoblast nests - undergo dramatic morphogenetic changes.’
- ‘In third instar larvae the reporter gene is intensively expressed in all the imaginal discs, in the larval gonads, in the imaginal ring cells of salivary glands, and in the ring gland.’
- ‘In lepidopterans, extirpation of imaginal wing discs in the final instar delays pupation in order for the larva to regenerate lost tissue.’
- ‘Late instars were isolated into same sex groups prior to the imaginal molt to ensure virginity.’
Late 19th century: from Latin imago, imagin- ‘image’ + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.