Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who draws or creates pictures for magazines, books, advertising, etc.
- ‘Fine artists were at the top, while comic book illustrators were at the bottom.’
- ‘With 14 illustrators contributing to the book, one might expect some obvious discontinuity among plates, but that is not the case.’
- ‘In a carnival atmosphere, leading artists, architects, illustrators, cartoonists, dancers and unicyclists will join forces in a drive to get the nation drawing.’
- ‘Most of my pals are either comic book artists or illustrators.’
- ‘After the war he returned to easel painting and was also active as a book and magazine illustrator and as a designer of mosaics and stained glass.’
- ‘Quite a few of the artists at the top today began their careers as illustrators for books, magazines and museums and their attention to detail is evident.’
- ‘Another fundamental difference is that illustrators create a piece for an assignment.’
- ‘As a printmaker and book illustrator, his clear and imaginative compositions contributed to the popularity of emblem books.’
- ‘She graduated in art and design at Falmouth in Cornwall in 1991 and was soon in demand as a wildlife illustrator for magazines and books.’
- ‘Since then, this award has paid tribute to the best of the best African-American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults.’
- ‘Other artists who contributed their talents were a trio of children's book illustrators.’
- ‘Of all the problems faced by painters, illustrators and still photographers, one of the most difficult is conveying the sense of movement and motion.’
- ‘More than 200 artists, designers, photographers and illustrators will showcase their designs in the gallery.’
- ‘Gouse began his career as a pen-and-ink artist and an illustrator of books.’
- ‘All I'll be doing is talking about my book, Mad Art, which chronicles the splendid illustrators for Mad Magazine.’
- ‘For this reason, illustrators must finish their pictures by deadlines, while painters rarely have to do this.’
- ‘Special seminars aimed at readers, writers and illustrators of kids' books will run throughout the duration of the book exhibition.’
- ‘He notes that the company will monetize sales by selling images to users and splitting the revenue with the illustrators who created them.’
- ‘The Hans Christian Andersen Awards are the highest international recognition given to the writers and illustrators of children's books.’
- ‘Since 1991, 33 awards have been presented to the authors and illustrators of outstanding books.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.