Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The amount of luminous flux per unit area.
- ‘The table overleaf gives average illuminances and minimum measured illuminances for different types of work.’
- ‘The vertical illuminances on the small targets were measured for each session and are shown in Figure II - 7.’
- ‘It is one of the main advantages of task lighting that this wide range of illuminances is possible, and is immediately controlled by the person requiring the illuminance.’
- ‘Quantitative statistical information is also provided in the form of minimum, average, and maximum work-plane illuminance.’
- ‘The preferred horizontal task illuminances supplied by the task-lighting luminaires varied from person to person, with an average of around 600 lux.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.