Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The amount of luminous flux per unit area.
- ‘The table overleaf gives average illuminances and minimum measured illuminances for different types of work.’
- ‘It is one of the main advantages of task lighting that this wide range of illuminances is possible, and is immediately controlled by the person requiring the illuminance.’
- ‘The preferred horizontal task illuminances supplied by the task-lighting luminaires varied from person to person, with an average of around 600 lux.’
- ‘The vertical illuminances on the small targets were measured for each session and are shown in Figure II - 7.’
- ‘Quantitative statistical information is also provided in the form of minimum, average, and maximum work-plane illuminance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.