One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bad or cruel treatment.‘he bore his ill usage with a tranquil dignity’
abuse, mistreatment, maltreatment, bad treatment, ill use, misuse, victimizationView synonyms
- ‘She found it very difficult to assert herself, and tended to confide ill usage to Pope rather than directly confronting those responsible.’
- ‘He bore his ill usage with a tranquil dignity which endeared him to me more than ever, and made me proud and happy to suffer with him and for him.’
- ‘He returned to England in January 1701 but on arrival in the Downs found that his crew had dispatched a round robin to the Admiralty alleging his ill usage of them.’
- ‘It is a fact that few made such a practice as he of complaining so vociferously, or so unjustifiably, about their ill usage at the queen's hands.’
- ‘My sister used me very ill since this transaction; her ill usage commenced about a fortnight after it happened; she then threatened to turn me out of doors, and wished that every bit I put in my mouth might choke me.’
- ‘Do you make this disturbance on account of the ill usage you received from Mr Kent?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.