One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Poorly constructed.‘the dangers of ill-made cheap imports’
ill-conceived, ill-advised, badly planned, badly thought-out, hare-brained, abortiveView synonyms
- ‘These tools are clumsy and ill-made.’
- ‘It lay over steep and often ill-made roads, two days' carriage journey from the nearest railway station, Eboli.’
- ‘The toymakers of Birmingham had many tricks to deceive the inexpert eye of the purchaser, and palmed off as articles of price much ill-made, meretricious trash.’
- ‘They had provided her with an ill-made artificial eye, of a wrong size and a bad colour, which gave a very unpleasant expression to her face.’
- ‘They drove the slaves back into their ill-made huts around which the icy wind whistled forlornly.’
- ‘Don Francisco was a young man of twenty-two, ugly and ill-made.’
- ‘Why don't mothers teach daughters that some clothes are ill-made instead of criticizing their bodies for being the wrong size and shape?’
- ‘A tight or ill-made shoe not only destroys the shape of the foot, it produces corns and bunions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.