Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having an unhealthy appearance.‘an assortment of ill-looking characters were already waiting for the surgery to open’
- ‘The child is particularly ill-looking during the first days of the rash.’
- ‘Two of the horses stood with their heads down; ribs striped their ill-looking flanks.’
- ‘It was ill-looking and its eyes looked bloodshot but it kept on desperately digging.’
- ‘On Saturday morning a neighbour discovered a thin and ill-looking cat resembling the once-plump Brandy in his back garden and alerted Mrs Perkins' daughter.’
- ‘The high pace and the rough weather conditions made the field crumble and an ill-looking Bradley Wiggins was defeated on the flat road headed towards the finish line.’
- ‘Naturally slim is one thing, ill looking is quite another.’
- ‘Emma looks terrible, so drawn and ill looking.’
- ‘She saw his expression change as he heard her carefully worded reply; he turned first red and then an ill-looking pale shade.’
- ‘Pictures of stick-thin, actually quite ill-looking young women are plastered everywhere.’
2Not pleasing to look at unattractive.‘he was not ill-looking though he was not really handsome either’
- ‘"Well, yes, she is not ill-looking," Harbury admitted grudgingly.’
- ‘It's a dark, dirty, black ill-looking square.’
- ‘The city presented, at first view, nothing but a mass of ill-looking houses, built of earth.’
- ‘William is an amiable fellow, and not ill-looking either.’
- ‘My aunt was a tall, hard-featured lady, but by no means ill-looking.’
- ‘You are not precisely handsome, but you are not ill looking, and you have impeccable family connections.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.