One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Said when politely asking someone to do or consider something.‘imagine, if you will, a typical silversmith's shop’
- ‘Imagine, if you will, that you have the magical power to see two scenes ahead in a film.’
- ‘Allow me, if you will, to give you a random sample of the goods, translated from the original German.’
- ‘Consider for a moment, if you will, the exquisitely delicate hues of this astoundingly lovely tunicate.’
- ‘Imagine, if you will, what would happen if the concept were to be transferred to racing.’
- ‘Imagine, if you will, the ruins of an ancient abbey set in a secluded valley on the Kent / Sussex border.’
- ‘Just give it a try, if you will, and let me know how it goes in our next session.’
- ‘Enjoy with me then, if you will, a fabulous piece of creative writing.’
- ‘So with America firmly in mind, consider the final news item if you will.’
- ‘Imagine this scene if you will: a married couple in the throws of passion is interrupted by a man in a white mask.’
- ‘What is your sense of the depth of the problem, if you will, and what can be done?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.