Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Practising idolatry; idolatrous:‘idol-worshipping paganism’
idol-worshipping, icon-worshipping, fetishisticView synonyms
- ‘As the entire idol-worshipping world stood on one side, Abraham and his monotheism stood firmly on the other.’
- ‘His first reaction was that the seemingly disdainful angry glance of Moses was directed at the idol-worshipping mob.’
- ‘He had obliterated all traces of the idol-worshipping religion of his ancestors and replaced it with a monotheistic one.’
- ‘We may not be sure why, but Jesus ' astounding declaration of inclusion to what we can assume was an idol-worshipping Canaanite woman with the words "Woman, great is your faith!"’
- ‘I warred with the idol-worshipping hill chiefs,’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.