One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A south Indian steamed cake of rice, usually served with sambhar.
- ‘Steaming hot idlis served with spicy chutney, rasa vadai and pappadams soon caught the imagination of customers.’
- ‘Southern Indian dishes like masala, dosai crêpes filled with spiced potatoes or idlis, and steamed rice cakes, are also popular.’
- ‘A plate of mini idlis consists of 10 lemon-sized idlis in steaming sambhar, screaming to be rescued and relished with a drop of ghee.’
- ‘The South contented itself with idlis, dosas, academics and tradition.’
- ‘Pure filtered South Indian coffee, spongy idlis, crispy dosa varieties, aromatic vadas and freshly prepared chutneys - the new restaurant offers all this and much more.’
From Malayalam and Kannada iḍḍali.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.