One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A south Indian steamed cake of rice, usually served with sambhar.
- ‘The South contented itself with idlis, dosas, academics and tradition.’
- ‘Steaming hot idlis served with spicy chutney, rasa vadai and pappadams soon caught the imagination of customers.’
- ‘Pure filtered South Indian coffee, spongy idlis, crispy dosa varieties, aromatic vadas and freshly prepared chutneys - the new restaurant offers all this and much more.’
- ‘A plate of mini idlis consists of 10 lemon-sized idlis in steaming sambhar, screaming to be rescued and relished with a drop of ghee.’
- ‘Southern Indian dishes like masala, dosai crêpes filled with spiced potatoes or idlis, and steamed rice cakes, are also popular.’
From Malayalam and Kannada iḍḍali.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.