One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A warning light that goes on when a fault occurs in a device.
- ‘While I waited I scanned my HUD and checked the idiot lights from the other stations on my watch; all were green; no one was under attack.’
- ‘An apt metaphor indeed, as motor mechanics call these gizmos ‘idiot lights.’’
- ‘Other than this high-tech version of a car's idiot light, I saw no other symptoms.’
- ‘For providing an easy-to-use ‘security idiot light’ to Linux system administrators and distributions everywhere, Nmap, we salute you.’
- ‘The idiot light for Foxtrot Base just turned red; they are surrounded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.