Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument the whole of which vibrates to produce a sound when struck, shaken, or scraped, such as a bell, gong, or rattle.Compare with membranophone
- ‘In organology, percussion instruments are divided into membranophones (those on which sound is produced by a vibrating membrane) and idiophones (instruments of hard, solid material, e.g. cymbals and xylophones).’
- ‘A stamped or stamping idiophone is determined by the source of the sound of the two instruments.’
- ‘Only one iron idiophone was used in the original tambú ensembles in previous centuries.’
- ‘The bones are one of several types of clappers, all of which are concussion idiophones and are classified as percussion musical instruments.’
- ‘Thus the kora and balo are played exclusively by male jeli, and karinya, an idiophone, is played only by jelimuso (female bards).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.