Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the study or discovery of particular scientific facts and processes, as distinct from general laws.Often contrasted with nomothetic
- ‘Existentialism, in its broadest terms, is both idiographic and nomothetic - it is about personal will and humanity.’
- ‘They argue that as a tool of understanding rather than explanation, activity theory is supported primarily by means of idiographic, qualitative, and/or case studies.’
- ‘In this sense, history is an idiographic temporal process involving individuals.’
- ‘They do not need to be convinced that such idiographic and quantitative information is relevant-it is relevant because it gives them valuable and necessary information.’
- ‘The congruency hypothesis was supported for latencies on the interpersonal Stroop task but only when we conducted an idiographic analysis of schema-relevant adjectives.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.