One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural A tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.
- ‘Doing so with identity politics or cultural differences is a loser's game.’
- ‘The progressive establishment is critical of people who openly discuss questions of race, culture and identity politics.’
- ‘Discussion increasingly focuses on identity politics and the question of differences between women as well as between women and men.’
- ‘The scripts of political mobilisation and identity politics do not cease even in the face of a common suffering.’
- ‘In a recent article in the New York Review of Books, Barenboim attacks the current fashion for identity politics and cultural nationalism.’
- ‘Yet identity politics disallows political analysis or criticism of identities which are profoundly political.’
- ‘This was neither social democracy nor the Old or New Left, neither identity politics nor vanguardism.’
- ‘It is one short step from parochial affiliations to local mafias that rely on clanship, clientalism, and identity politics.’
- ‘They have been annexed to any number of political currents, particularly around identity politics.’
- ‘In the process, women get caught up in nationalist politics in different ways, and identity politics come to impact on gender relations.’
- ‘They have joined new social movements and have chosen identity politics rather than partisan politics.’
- ‘It was identity politics, the politics of the special interest groups, of the disadvantaged groups.’
- ‘Third, it sent a message about the importance of what might be called identity politics or the politics of behaviour.’
- ‘The magazine also features an essay on New Zealand film Whale Rider, directed by Niki Caro, and its promotion of identity politics.’
- ‘Our party opposes the various strains of identity politics and stands firmly in support of integration and the unity of all working people.’
- ‘There are a few folks in various splinter groups practicing identity politics.’
- ‘Why, he asks, are the identity politics of gender or race not vulnerable to the same sort of anti-essentialist critique?’
- ‘When are you going to learn that a focus on social liberalism and identity politics is the tool of the elite?’
- ‘For those interested in identity politics, there were sessions on black liberation and feminism.’
- ‘One of the play's chief merits is that it does not retreat into the type of identity politics generally pushed by so many Asian and black commentators and artists.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.