One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A card carrying the holder's photograph, name, date of birth, and other personal details, serving as official proof of their identity.
- ‘I do not understand the opposition to a national identity card.’
- ‘Indeed, anyone who has thought about it knows that identity cards alone are not even useful in proving someone's identity.’
- ‘The increasing security consciousness of firms and their desire to issue staff with identity cards has helped to fuel this growth.’
- ‘Anybody who is bent upon committing a crime will simply produce a fake identity card or a passport.’
- ‘The only accepted forms of ID are a valid passport, driving licence, international student identity card or national identity card - all with photo.’
- ‘Already European arrest warrants are on the agenda, with a DNA bank and the possibility of identity cards to follow.’
- ‘How long will it be before there will be a compulsory EU identity card?’
- ‘The chips can be incorporated into passports and identity cards.’
- ‘Visitors are required to complete long questionnaires before being issued with an identity card.’
- ‘Now I'll just have to show my identity card - so I should be through in a few minutes.’
- ‘Then, 55 per cent of respondents said they were in favour of identity cards, and 43 per cent opposed them.’
- ‘They both produced passports, identity cards, pay slips and birth certificates to prove their claim.’
- ‘He told victims he was a policeman and briefly showed them an identity card that seemed to confirm it.’
- ‘Any national identity card introduced in the UK will have to meet new international standards for biometrics.’
- ‘If there are any men with you, their identity cards will be checked.’
- ‘Driving licences and identity cards can be forged.’
- ‘There has been lots of discussion of the potential costs of identity cards, much of it based on misinformation and misunderstanding.’
- ‘Publicans have said they are finding it increasingly difficult to judge the age of customers, and have called for a mandatory identity card to combat under-age drinking.’
- ‘How useful the identity card is for criminal and security matters is however not at all clear.’
- ‘One of the biggest growth areas for tech companies has been in new identity cards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.