One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A card carrying the holder's photograph, name, date of birth, and other personal details, serving as official proof of their identity.
- ‘I do not understand the opposition to a national identity card.’
- ‘Indeed, anyone who has thought about it knows that identity cards alone are not even useful in proving someone's identity.’
- ‘Visitors are required to complete long questionnaires before being issued with an identity card.’
- ‘There has been lots of discussion of the potential costs of identity cards, much of it based on misinformation and misunderstanding.’
- ‘The chips can be incorporated into passports and identity cards.’
- ‘If there are any men with you, their identity cards will be checked.’
- ‘He told victims he was a policeman and briefly showed them an identity card that seemed to confirm it.’
- ‘Publicans have said they are finding it increasingly difficult to judge the age of customers, and have called for a mandatory identity card to combat under-age drinking.’
- ‘The increasing security consciousness of firms and their desire to issue staff with identity cards has helped to fuel this growth.’
- ‘Now I'll just have to show my identity card - so I should be through in a few minutes.’
- ‘Then, 55 per cent of respondents said they were in favour of identity cards, and 43 per cent opposed them.’
- ‘How useful the identity card is for criminal and security matters is however not at all clear.’
- ‘How long will it be before there will be a compulsory EU identity card?’
- ‘Driving licences and identity cards can be forged.’
- ‘They both produced passports, identity cards, pay slips and birth certificates to prove their claim.’
- ‘The only accepted forms of ID are a valid passport, driving licence, international student identity card or national identity card - all with photo.’
- ‘Already European arrest warrants are on the agenda, with a DNA bank and the possibility of identity cards to follow.’
- ‘One of the biggest growth areas for tech companies has been in new identity cards.’
- ‘Any national identity card introduced in the UK will have to meet new international standards for biometrics.’
- ‘Anybody who is bent upon committing a crime will simply produce a fake identity card or a passport.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.