One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1short for identification
- ‘‘Did you get an ident on him, Captain?’ Alexandra asked.’
- ‘Three minutes later, the controller advised the pilot of the other airplane that the Piper was at 8,200 feet and that there were no further idents.’
- ‘I flipped up the TACAN mixer switch, and we were getting a good, strong ident.’
- ‘‘Additional idents on the Red Dragon's escorts,’ Garcia said.’
- ‘He quickly rechecked the correct ILS frequency and verified the localizer's ident.’
- ‘‘Positive ident on the shadowing corvettes,’ the OOD said.’
- ‘It is one of ‘I see this as an ident [a match] because I have been doing this longer than you.’’
- ‘At 1918: 22 departure asked him to ‘squawk ident and say altitude.’’
- ‘If any more calls come in without an ident, trace them and let local law enforcement know.’
- 1.1 A short sequence shown on television between programmes to identify the channel.
- ‘The Title Sequence and Idents Award - This award is given to those working on film titles, bumpers, stings or idents.’
- ‘And very odd that the Thames TV ident bought a lump to the throat.’
- ‘‘The idents are just ten seconds long, so we wanted to do something really creative that was still linked to the sponsorship matter - the weather,’ Ellis said.’
- ‘The current series of C4 idents are beautifully presented and will no doubt garner armfuls of awards.’
- ‘Well, the new ident for the show has been revealed, and it's shocking different.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.