Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1short for identification, especially in informal or technical use
- ‘‘Positive ident on the shadowing corvettes,’ the OOD said.’
- ‘‘Did you get an ident on him, Captain?’ Alexandra asked.’
- ‘I flipped up the TACAN mixer switch, and we were getting a good, strong ident.’
- ‘It is one of ‘I see this as an ident [a match] because I have been doing this longer than you.’’
- ‘At 1918: 22 departure asked him to ‘squawk ident and say altitude.’’
- ‘If any more calls come in without an ident, trace them and let local law enforcement know.’
- ‘Three minutes later, the controller advised the pilot of the other airplane that the Piper was at 8,200 feet and that there were no further idents.’
- ‘He quickly rechecked the correct ILS frequency and verified the localizer's ident.’
- ‘‘Additional idents on the Red Dragon's escorts,’ Garcia said.’
- 1.1A short sequence shown on television between programmes to identify the channel.
- ‘And very odd that the Thames TV ident bought a lump to the throat.’
- ‘The current series of C4 idents are beautifully presented and will no doubt garner armfuls of awards.’
- ‘‘The idents are just ten seconds long, so we wanted to do something really creative that was still linked to the sponsorship matter - the weather,’ Ellis said.’
- ‘Well, the new ident for the show has been revealed, and it's shocking different.’
- ‘The Title Sequence and Idents Award - This award is given to those working on film titles, bumpers, stings or idents.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.