Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Regard or represent as perfect or better than in reality.‘Helen's idealized accounts of their life together’
romanticize, romance, be unrealistic about, look at something through rose-coloured spectacles, look at something through rose-tinted spectacles, paint a rosy picture of, glamorizeidolize, apotheosize, deifyView synonyms
- ‘It seems that many people living in the West still live in the simple, polarized westerns of their simpler, more idealized childhoods.’
- ‘Of course we do think first of the King, the magnificent monarch of a glorified or idealized medieval realm.’
- ‘They created idealized hierarchies that favored their own group over others.’
- ‘On the one hand, there are idealized good men like her father and Palmer.’
- ‘He does his best here to present Richard and Elise as idealized lovers caught up in a classical tragic romance.’
- ‘The film is narrated collectively by a group of neighborhood boys, now older, who idolized and idealized the five girls.’
- ‘However, it is quite possible that there exist idealized solutions that do not lie close, in any sense, to non-idealized ones.’
- ‘The competitive environment, idealized in perfect competition, represents the most efficient structure.’
- ‘Even the weather is idealized in consistently sunny, warm conditions, unlike typical mountain weather.’
- ‘The political culture that is idealized in the writings of Plato and Aristotle is not cosmopolitan.’
- ‘She was idealized as a martyr's daughter and a symbol of Palestine.’
- ‘Moral values at the national level are idealized family values projected onto the nation.’
- ‘Transformational leaders, on the other hand, tend to be idealized, and oriented to change.’
- ‘Continuing to measure idealized final outcomes will not enable us to answer these questions.’
- ‘So, growing up, I knew that the Hollywood depiction of Indian life was rather idealized.’
- ‘Yet the villagers are not idealized, but portrayed with all their faults and petty hostilities.’
- ‘His trademark are idealized women with extremely tall and slender bodies.’
- ‘The portrait is idealized on so many different levels it would be difficult to enumerate them.’
- ‘They give idealized realizations of my work in the string quartet medium.’
- ‘Naturalism was one aspect of the wider artifice that expressed the known and unknown world through enhanced, idealized reality.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.