Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Integrated Drive Electronics, a standard for interfacing computers and their peripherals.
- another term for orfe
- ‘Unfortunately, carp did not show such enthusiasm and it was left to the ide, chub and orfe to provide the bulk of some respectable hauls.’
- ‘It is very much a mixed fishery holding; common, mirror, grass and crucian carp with roach, rudd, chub, dace, perch, bream, tench and ide.’
- ‘It is to be stocked with carp, bream, tench and ide, the carp total being twice the amount of any other species.’
- ‘Nature has pre-stocked this cosy spot with salmon, sea trout, bream, roach, ide, crucians…… and pike.’
- ‘There are also chub, ide, rudd, grass carp, cat fish, tench and specimen carp on site in the various waters.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin idus, from Swedish id.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.