One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for orfe
- ‘Unfortunately, carp did not show such enthusiasm and it was left to the ide, chub and orfe to provide the bulk of some respectable hauls.’
- ‘It is very much a mixed fishery holding; common, mirror, grass and crucian carp with roach, rudd, chub, dace, perch, bream, tench and ide.’
- ‘There are also chub, ide, rudd, grass carp, cat fish, tench and specimen carp on site in the various waters.’
- ‘Nature has pre-stocked this cosy spot with salmon, sea trout, bream, roach, ide, crucians…… and pike.’
- ‘It is to be stocked with carp, bream, tench and ide, the carp total being twice the amount of any other species.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin idus, from Swedish id.
Integrated Drive Electronics, a standard for interfacing computers and their peripherals.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.