One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The study of visual imagery and its symbolism and interpretation, especially in social or political terms.
- ‘One aim of this essay is to address the issue of interpretations of nineteenth-century art by considering the limits of certain interpretative methods associated with iconography and iconology.’
- ‘Bustling iconology notwithstanding, Ji's pictures are not exclusively literary or even representational.’
- ‘In iconology, creating becomes a liturgical offering of works of art to God, but the artwork offered is not separate from its author.’
- ‘Iconography as the study of representation, also called iconology, entered mainstream academia at the beginning of the twentieth century.’
- ‘While iconography is a descriptive and classificatory discipline, iconology is an interpretative method, which aims to contextualize works of art culturally and explore their possible meanings.’
- 1.1 Symbolism.‘the iconology of a work of art’
- ‘The word means image, but also copy, and the iconology of 9/11, unlike the real thing which was utterly singular, drew on past images to guide instinctive response.’
- ‘If they shared this iconology by more than pure chance, wouldn't the Native Americans have shown some other signs of Arabic influence when the Europeans got there?’
- ‘Besides the obvious stereotype of the ‘other,’ the representations fall largely within the realm of the iconology of the French Revolution of 1789.’
- ‘In other words, the window may have a localized iconology as well as a universalized iconography.’
- ‘This colonial propagandist iconology was equally exploited in media such as postcards, posters, paintings, advertisements, newspapers, magazines, cartoons, and film.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.