One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Finely powdered sugar used to make icing.
- ‘Place the couscous and icing sugar in a large heatproof bowl.’
- ‘Beat whites with caster sugar till stiff, sift icing sugar and cornflour together and fold into egg white mixture.’
- ‘If you can, dust them with icing sugar 20 minutes ahead so they start to bring out their natural sugars, which will caramelise better.’
- ‘Then sprinkle generously with sifted icing sugar and drizzle with olive oil.’
- ‘To make the pastry, sift together the flour and icing sugar and cut the butter into cubes.’
- ‘Place a serving plate on top, flip the pan over, shake it to dislodge any recalcitrant apples and serve with a dusting of icing sugar, a dollop of crème fraîche and a sprig of fresh mint.’
- ‘Dust with a mix of icing sugar and cinnamon and serve at once - piping hot.’
- ‘To serve, stack two slices on each warm plate, dust with icing sugar and spoon the strawberries over the top.’
- ‘In a similar way, following the discovery of anthrax spores in US mail, everything from talcum powder to icing sugar to sand became the focus for an international panic.’
- ‘In our house, a pound of icing sugar made about seven peppermint creams.’
- ‘There were just four ingredients: icing sugar, egg white, peppermint essence and green colouring.’
- ‘I suggest a tablespoon of icing sugar, but taste it for sweetness as you go.’
- ‘Beat the brandy and icing sugar into the mascarpone and chill.’
- ‘Just before serving, gently whip the double cream, icing sugar and vanilla until it just starts to thicken.’
- ‘But make it properly with eggs and unsalted butter, not with salted butter and too much icing sugar in the English teashop style.’
- ‘Their capsicums or bell peppers are merely our sweet peppers, scallions are our spring onions, shrimps are our prawns, and confectioner's sugar is our icing sugar.’
- ‘They also make a good quick dessert, tossed in icing sugar then caramelised for a few minutes in a piping hot nonstick pan.’
- ‘Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.’
- ‘It is best served simply with a light dusting of icing sugar, and maybe some sliced plums or fresh chopped pears in syrup.’
- ‘Put the mascarpone and icing sugar in the bowl of a food mixer and beat smooth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.