Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A congenital skin condition which causes the epidermis to become dry and horny like fish scales.
- ‘Severe dry skin is a feature of certain genetic diseases such as atopic dermatitis and ichthyosis (fish scale-like skin).’
- ‘Specific manifestations include papules, plaques, lupus pernio, scar sarcoidosis, and rare morphologies such as alopecia, ulcers, hypopigmented patches, and ichthyosis.’
- ‘Most healthcare professionals know about Arthritis Care and the Alzheimer's Disease Society, but do you know where to find support groups for people with Kawasaki disease, ichthyosis, or acne?’
- ‘The differential diagnosis includes venous stasis dermatitis, pretibial myxedema, filariasis, and ichthyosis.’
- ‘More serious dry skin conditions, such as the inherited group of disorders called ichthyosis, can sometimes be disfiguring and may cause psychological distress to people living with them.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.