Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Netdish has developed an innovative telematic system for data management and transmission between fishing vessels and ichthyic markets.’
- ‘The ichthyic fauna of the Italian freshwaters is particularly rich in species, distributed throughout the territory in relation to their capacity of adaptation to diverse environmental conditions.’
- ‘High anthropogenic pressures on marine ecosystems have resulted in decreased amounts of commercial fish species and total ichthyic fauna.’
- ‘They already have no ichthyic fauna of their own, and they are relatively isolated, with no rivers to flow into or out of them, whence fish could escape.’
- ‘The aim of this study was to assess the absorption of ichthyic origin after oral administration to 20 healthy male volunteers.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek ikhthuïkos fishy, from ikhthus fish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.