One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A light, wind-driven vehicle with sails and runners, used for travelling on ice.
- ‘And when the water gets hard only the iceboat crowd is smiling.’
- ‘Modern iceboats have been reported to reach 90 miles per hour, but in 1938 an official speed record was set that still holds.’
- ‘There's a comfortable ranch house with an Explorer, an Expedition, and a Vanagon in the driveway and an iceboat in the garage.’
2A boat used for breaking ice on a waterway.
- ‘The iceboat's chief, Captain Daniel K. Oliver, picked up his binoculars and took in the view from the Healy's bridge.’
- ‘He's worked on patrol boats in Florida and scuba-dived under the North Pole, but piloting an iceboat still gets his adrenaline pumping.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.