One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Either of two succulent plants which are widely cultivated for their flowers.
an Asian stonecrop which bears domed heads of tiny pink flowers (Sedum spectabile, family Crassulaceae).
a South African plant which has leaves covered with glistening fluid-filled hairs that resemble ice crystals (genera Mesembryanthemum and Dorotheanthus, family Aizoaceae, in particular M. crystallinum).
- ‘Expression of McHAK2 and McHAK3 was stimulated in leaves of the ice plant in response to high salinity.’
- ‘I topped this one with a piece of ice plant, the most amazing salad leaf imaginable.’
- ‘A similar response to drought or salt stress was observed for McCDPK1 in common ice plant.’
- ‘The ice plant's lime green foliage contrasts strongly with prickly silver mats of neighboring pinks.’
- ‘If you want to attract butterflies to your garden in late summer and autumn, look no further than the ice plant, a perennial which has pretty domed heads of pink flowers above thick, succulent leaves.’
2A machine or installation for making ice artificially.
- ‘Dingle harbour board are currently in negotiations with BIM and Kerry County Council on the future of the former ice plant on Strand Street.’
- ‘Monthly quality assurance inspections and assessments were made of dining facilities, water-production sites, ice plants, detention cells, barbershops, and base camps.’
- ‘We can't see it, but they say an ice plant is shipping two tons of ice a week there.’
- ‘We've also prepared an area for a permanent water purification facility and ice plant.’
- ‘They smiled as they talked about the two homes, the ice plant, and the 16 shacks that were all gone.’
- ‘City crews will be hooking the curling rink ice plant up to the thermal siphons to hurry the arena ground along, but it will still take a lot of time.’
- ‘Paranitha was quickly transformed into Sea Otter, but without the ice plants and sea breeze.’
- ‘The ice plant is protected under a long term contract.’
- ‘During the Florida hurricane crisis of fall 2004, that meant directing a sophisticated logistics challenge that enlisted refrigerated trucks and ice plants around the nation.’
- ‘Councillors have backed plans to build a new Stromness ice plant, despite a downturn in the fishing industry and rising costs.’
- ‘The harbour board is concerned about local teenagers who have been climbing up a ladder, on the pier ice plant, and launching themselves into the sea below.’
- ‘He studied its ice plant and told the arena manager the soft ice at The Pond could be improved with sorer water.’
- ‘Major recent seafront developments in Dingle include a marina, an extension of the pier and an ice plant.’
- ‘Later on a new ice plant was built for Lake Simcoe Ice at North Toronto right next to the main line.’
- ‘To chill the mix, an adjacent ice plant produced 130 tons of shaved ice per day.’
- ‘The engineers are looking at heat pumps, ice plants and various possible solutions.’
- ‘Howth pier and fish shops have several modern cold storage units and ice plants, which are mostly taken for granted in this day and age.’
- ‘Opening the ice plant on the Harbour of Inishturk, Minister Coughlan said that it was a major step forward for the island's fishermen.’
- ‘Sugar mills are among Bayamon's chief industries, along with iron foundries, ice plants, dairies, and an oil refinery.’
- ‘A member of the public called the police, claiming that they had seen a person jumping into the water, near the ice plant, at about 1.40 am on Sunday.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.