Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Either of two succulent plants which are widely cultivated for their flowers.
- ‘I topped this one with a piece of ice plant, the most amazing salad leaf imaginable.’
- ‘If you want to attract butterflies to your garden in late summer and autumn, look no further than the ice plant, a perennial which has pretty domed heads of pink flowers above thick, succulent leaves.’
- ‘A similar response to drought or salt stress was observed for McCDPK1 in common ice plant.’
- ‘Expression of McHAK2 and McHAK3 was stimulated in leaves of the ice plant in response to high salinity.’
- ‘The ice plant's lime green foliage contrasts strongly with prickly silver mats of neighboring pinks.’
2A machine or installation for making ice artificially.
- ‘City crews will be hooking the curling rink ice plant up to the thermal siphons to hurry the arena ground along, but it will still take a lot of time.’
- ‘Monthly quality assurance inspections and assessments were made of dining facilities, water-production sites, ice plants, detention cells, barbershops, and base camps.’
- ‘We can't see it, but they say an ice plant is shipping two tons of ice a week there.’
- ‘Paranitha was quickly transformed into Sea Otter, but without the ice plants and sea breeze.’
- ‘The ice plant is protected under a long term contract.’
- ‘Opening the ice plant on the Harbour of Inishturk, Minister Coughlan said that it was a major step forward for the island's fishermen.’
- ‘We've also prepared an area for a permanent water purification facility and ice plant.’
- ‘Sugar mills are among Bayamon's chief industries, along with iron foundries, ice plants, dairies, and an oil refinery.’
- ‘Councillors have backed plans to build a new Stromness ice plant, despite a downturn in the fishing industry and rising costs.’
- ‘The engineers are looking at heat pumps, ice plants and various possible solutions.’
- ‘He studied its ice plant and told the arena manager the soft ice at The Pond could be improved with sorer water.’
- ‘Howth pier and fish shops have several modern cold storage units and ice plants, which are mostly taken for granted in this day and age.’
- ‘The harbour board is concerned about local teenagers who have been climbing up a ladder, on the pier ice plant, and launching themselves into the sea below.’
- ‘Later on a new ice plant was built for Lake Simcoe Ice at North Toronto right next to the main line.’
- ‘Dingle harbour board are currently in negotiations with BIM and Kerry County Council on the future of the former ice plant on Strand Street.’
- ‘To chill the mix, an adjacent ice plant produced 130 tons of shaved ice per day.’
- ‘A member of the public called the police, claiming that they had seen a person jumping into the water, near the ice plant, at about 1.40 am on Sunday.’
- ‘They smiled as they talked about the two homes, the ice plant, and the 16 shacks that were all gone.’
- ‘Major recent seafront developments in Dingle include a marina, an extension of the pier and an ice plant.’
- ‘During the Florida hurricane crisis of fall 2004, that meant directing a sophisticated logistics challenge that enlisted refrigerated trucks and ice plants around the nation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.