Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fast contact sport played on an ice rink between two teams of six skaters, who attempt to drive a small rubber disc or puck into the opposing goal with hooked or angled sticks. It developed from field hockey in Canada in the second half of the 19th century.
- ‘The bonds which exist between Canada and ice hockey extend far beyond mere sport and spectator.’
- ‘The city breeds ice-hockey players, speed skaters, gold-medal wrestlers, world-champion ice-speedway riders, and mammoth rugby forwards.’
- ‘He bought the football club and then spent millions of pounds adding rugby, basketball and ice-hockey teams.’
- ‘Protesters had hoped the new rink would open at the same time for all the ice skaters and ice hockey players who train there.’
- ‘While training to run a half-marathon, Beej is playing on a men's ice hockey team.’
- ‘The University of Waterloo is now proud to have a women's ice hockey team.’
- ‘Then we hope that we can build up or form ice hockey teams, and run regular competitions.’
- ‘They are destined to be outshone forever by a bunch of under-achievers known as the Maple Leafs, the city's ice hockey team.’
- ‘Two female ice skaters practicing on the ice are crowded off of it by the arrival of two male ice hockey teams.’
- ‘We also had two decent standard athletics clubs, two half decent ice-hockey teams and Britain's second best ice dancers.’
- ‘They actually turn up at stadiums to cheer their baseball and football and ice hockey teams.’
- ‘There is even a newish ice rink and ice hockey team, called the Belfast Giants.’
- ‘Other nations, like Slovenia, are more interested in ice hockey, skiing or basketball.’
- ‘Players need to be brave as well as bright, and adherents claim it is the second fastest team sport in the world, after ice hockey.’
- ‘Some rated it as possibly even more important than Canada's 1972 Olympic ice hockey victory over Russia.’
- ‘He captained the Swindon Cubs under-tens ice hockey team to the national finals last season.’
- ‘Sweden finally beat Canada at the world ice hockey championship but there was no gold medal at stake on Saturday.’
- ‘Nobody from Blackburn Hawks ice hockey team was available for comment.’
- ‘Texol also sponsors the local Dundee Texol Stars ice hockey team.’
- ‘The aim is to provide ice skating and ice hockey training for schools in West Bradford.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.