Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A fast contact sport played on an ice rink between two teams of six skaters, who attempt to drive a small rubber disc or puck into the opposing goal with hooked or angled sticks. It developed from field hockey in Canada in the second half of the 19th century.
- ‘The aim is to provide ice skating and ice hockey training for schools in West Bradford.’
- ‘They actually turn up at stadiums to cheer their baseball and football and ice hockey teams.’
- ‘Other nations, like Slovenia, are more interested in ice hockey, skiing or basketball.’
- ‘The city breeds ice-hockey players, speed skaters, gold-medal wrestlers, world-champion ice-speedway riders, and mammoth rugby forwards.’
- ‘Some rated it as possibly even more important than Canada's 1972 Olympic ice hockey victory over Russia.’
- ‘While training to run a half-marathon, Beej is playing on a men's ice hockey team.’
- ‘Two female ice skaters practicing on the ice are crowded off of it by the arrival of two male ice hockey teams.’
- ‘Players need to be brave as well as bright, and adherents claim it is the second fastest team sport in the world, after ice hockey.’
- ‘There is even a newish ice rink and ice hockey team, called the Belfast Giants.’
- ‘Sweden finally beat Canada at the world ice hockey championship but there was no gold medal at stake on Saturday.’
- ‘We also had two decent standard athletics clubs, two half decent ice-hockey teams and Britain's second best ice dancers.’
- ‘Nobody from Blackburn Hawks ice hockey team was available for comment.’
- ‘The University of Waterloo is now proud to have a women's ice hockey team.’
- ‘Protesters had hoped the new rink would open at the same time for all the ice skaters and ice hockey players who train there.’
- ‘Then we hope that we can build up or form ice hockey teams, and run regular competitions.’
- ‘Texol also sponsors the local Dundee Texol Stars ice hockey team.’
- ‘He captained the Swindon Cubs under-tens ice hockey team to the national finals last season.’
- ‘They are destined to be outshone forever by a bunch of under-achievers known as the Maple Leafs, the city's ice hockey team.’
- ‘The bonds which exist between Canada and ice hockey extend far beyond mere sport and spectator.’
- ‘He bought the football club and then spent millions of pounds adding rugby, basketball and ice-hockey teams.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.