One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lower edge of a glacier.
- ‘By using a GIS platform to store and digitize the images, we were able to easily compare temporal changes among ice fronts.’
- ‘For example, compressive stresses near ice fronts may cause folding or thrusting of basal debris to the ablating ice surface.’
- ‘The ice front will remain in the same place as long as the rate of accumulation is equal to the rate of melting.’
- ‘The total length of their ice fronts is 2510 km, 443 km, and 230 km, respectively.’
- ‘Labels of ice front positions denote cores collected in 1994-95.’
- ‘This debris accumulated at the ice front building thick ridges of unconsolidated sediment.’
- ‘Here one was pent in by steep mountain walls and the great ice fronts of the Jätte and De Geer Glaciers, which descend from the Inland Ice.’
- ‘The proposed research will produce the first direct numerical simulations of the interaction of non-planar ice fronts with deformable cells.’
- ‘As water undermines some ice fronts, great blocks of ice up to 200 feet high break loose and crash into the water.’
- ‘These data represent the most complete, near-contemporaneous sampling of conditions at both ice fronts that has been made to date.’
- ‘As water undermines the ice fronts, great blocks of ice up to 200 feet high break loose and crash into the water.’
- ‘A special front-tracking technique is used to compute the motion of the cell membrane and the ice front during freezing.’
- ‘The dark band just north of the ice front is a narrow stretch of open water called a lead.’
- ‘In total approximately 10,000 square kilometres of ice had broken off along the 300 km long ice front.’
- ‘This was followed by a readvance of glaciers down major fjords and subsequent retreat to present ice fronts.’
- ‘A wave of intracellular ice nucleation in 100% of the cells followed the extracellular ice front across the field of view.’
- ‘It is known that Pleistocene animals retreated from advancing ice fronts, or glacier, and followed retreating ice fronts.’
- ‘About 15,500 years ago, the ice front had cleared the Lake Erie basin, but advanced again to recover that area and more by 14,800 years ago.’
- ‘High frequency ice divergence is dominated by ice response to wind stress rather than by tides except along the shelf break and ice fronts.’
- ‘During the middle of summer a camp was established just below the ice front, in preparation for the collection of watersamples.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.