Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lower edge of a glacier.
- ‘The ice front will remain in the same place as long as the rate of accumulation is equal to the rate of melting.’
- ‘As water undermines the ice fronts, great blocks of ice up to 200 feet high break loose and crash into the water.’
- ‘The dark band just north of the ice front is a narrow stretch of open water called a lead.’
- ‘The proposed research will produce the first direct numerical simulations of the interaction of non-planar ice fronts with deformable cells.’
- ‘During the middle of summer a camp was established just below the ice front, in preparation for the collection of watersamples.’
- ‘The total length of their ice fronts is 2510 km, 443 km, and 230 km, respectively.’
- ‘A special front-tracking technique is used to compute the motion of the cell membrane and the ice front during freezing.’
- ‘A wave of intracellular ice nucleation in 100% of the cells followed the extracellular ice front across the field of view.’
- ‘These data represent the most complete, near-contemporaneous sampling of conditions at both ice fronts that has been made to date.’
- ‘This was followed by a readvance of glaciers down major fjords and subsequent retreat to present ice fronts.’
- ‘This debris accumulated at the ice front building thick ridges of unconsolidated sediment.’
- ‘In total approximately 10,000 square kilometres of ice had broken off along the 300 km long ice front.’
- ‘Here one was pent in by steep mountain walls and the great ice fronts of the Jätte and De Geer Glaciers, which descend from the Inland Ice.’
- ‘Labels of ice front positions denote cores collected in 1994-95.’
- ‘For example, compressive stresses near ice fronts may cause folding or thrusting of basal debris to the ablating ice surface.’
- ‘About 15,500 years ago, the ice front had cleared the Lake Erie basin, but advanced again to recover that area and more by 14,800 years ago.’
- ‘It is known that Pleistocene animals retreated from advancing ice fronts, or glacier, and followed retreating ice fronts.’
- ‘High frequency ice divergence is dominated by ice response to wind stress rather than by tides except along the shelf break and ice fronts.’
- ‘By using a GIS platform to store and digitize the images, we were able to easily compare temporal changes among ice fronts.’
- ‘As water undermines some ice fronts, great blocks of ice up to 200 feet high break loose and crash into the water.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.