Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A form of choreographed figure skating influenced by ballroom dancing, typically performed by a man and a woman competing as a team.
- ‘Before even learning the basics of skating she was already trying her hand at ice dancing.’
- ‘Her parents, Carol and Robert, are former ice dancers who competed at the Olympic Games when ice dancing was an exhibition sport.’
- ‘Both of us are competing in the solo ice dancing.’
- ‘There is too much rush from one move to the next in today's ice dancing.’
- ‘In pairs skating and ice dancing, acute injuries occurred more often than overuse syndromes.’
- ‘She looks hopeless, but probably had the kind of privileged upbringing where she had professional ice dancing lessons every day.’
- ‘She offers thorough guidance on singles, ice dancing, and pairs, and she offers valid advice on synchronized skating.’
- ‘I started ice dancing when I was nine and had a few other partners before I started with Alexei.’
- ‘The result was a 5-4 decision that gave Canada its first world championship in ice dancing.’
- ‘‘I'm fortunate to have a mom who knows ice dancing and can give me feedback,’ Lauren noted.’
- ‘The Italians' unceremonious drop to fourth place is unheard of in the world of ice dancing.’
- ‘She began ice dancing because she didn't like jumping.’
- ‘She competed in singles until she was twelve, when she started ice dancing.’
- ‘But I was afraid of the jumps, so my trainer told me to go to ice dancing when I couldn't land an axel.’
- ‘So it is no surprise that ice dancing, not freestyle skating, is king in Lake Placid in August.’
- ‘Figure skating includes four disciplines - singles men and ladies skating, pairs skating, and ice dancing.’
- ‘He was a singles skater for seven years, but switched to ice dancing when he was 15.’
- ‘I think ice dancing was made for me because I'm able to express the emotions I'm feeling to an audience.’
- ‘Moxley later switched to ice dancing and competed in senior dance with Alexander Kirsanov.’
- ‘‘I like to skate with a partner and I also love the theatrical side of ice dancing,’ he said.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.