One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bag filled with ice and applied to the body to reduce swelling or lower temperature.
- ‘Ron asked again, catching the ice bag and catching it easily.’
- ‘If time allows, catching a short nap in a darkened, quiet room with an ice bag or cold compress on your forehead can work wonders.’
- ‘Andrew shrugged and then hid his face behind his ice bag again.’
- ‘I groan and slump against the pillows, holding the ice bag to my head.’
- ‘I crossed the room and flopped down on my bed, holding my ice bag to my eye.’
- ‘‘Here,’ my mother appeared and handed him an ice bag.’
- ‘I grabbed a Tylenol and a bottle of water along with the towel and ice bag and walked back into the living room.’
- ‘Then she handed the ice bag to Cordy and said, ‘I'm going to go back to your place and get some sleep.’’
- ‘I looked into his eyes as he combed the hair out of my face and held that ice bag up.’
- ‘When he did, she left him the ice bag, and went to get some sleep.’
- ‘Mike strolls back with ice bags Saran-Wrapped around both knees.’
- ‘Ellen is sitting on the bench, holding an ice bag to her ankle.’
- ‘‘This is what I've always wanted,’ he says, strapping an ice bag onto each of his knees and sitting beside the court.’
- ‘She was holding an ice bag to her cheek in an effort to bring down the swelling because, in her words, she's ‘sick of telling people she tripped’.’
- ‘He threw himself into the couch and pressed the ice bag against his face.’
- ‘The only healing the Saints are doing this week is with ice bags on their groins, hamstrings, ankles, shoulders and egos.’
- ‘They all use Q-tips, gauze, ice bags and a flat rectangular tool called an enswell to reduce swelling.’
- ‘Despite good intentions, they risk eventually getting up close and personal with an ice bag, an orthopedist or both.’
- ‘He muttered beneath his breath, and then shifted his ice bag.’
- ‘What he really wanted was an ice bag to soothe them, but he felt too impatient to fetch one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.