One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound used widely as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory drug.
Alternative name: 2-(4-isobutylphenyl) propionic acid; chemical formula: C₁₃H₁₈O₂
- ‘Over the counter painkillers such as ibuprofen and paracetamol often help.’
- ‘Call the doctor if your child has symptoms of an ulcer, especially if he has taken aspirin or ibuprofen for a long time.’
- ‘We recommend the use of sitz baths and an analgesic such as ibuprofen.’
- ‘These over-the-counter pain relievers include aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen.’
- ‘Aspirin and drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen can cause life-threatening ulcers.’
- ‘If you have a sore throat, you can treat the pain with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen.’
- ‘Painkillers - paracetamol or ibuprofen can be taken to ease the pain of a sore throat.’
- ‘You will need to avoid other drugs in this class like aspirin and ibuprofen.’
- ‘Bruises may appear worse if you are taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or antibiotics.’
- ‘The pharmacodynamic interaction of aspirin and ibuprofen may not have a significant impact on patient outcomes.’
- ‘Avoid medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen for several days or up to a week before and after surgery.’
- ‘Painkillers, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, may be useful.’
- ‘These compounds have similar activity as aspirin, naproxen and ibuprofen.’
- ‘Others are caused by regular use of certain pain relievers, such as aspirin, naproxen or ibuprofen.’
- ‘Regular use of drugs like acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen may also pose hazards.’
- ‘For adults, paracetamol, aspirin or ibuprofen can help to relieve fever and pain.’
- ‘A bleeding ulcer from aspirin or ibuprofen can sneak up without warning.’
- ‘Take a painkiller, such as paracetamol, ibuprofen or aspirin, to reduce discomfort.’
- ‘Your doctor may ask you to try aspirin or anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen or naproxen.’
- ‘You may heal faster if you do not smoke or use aspirin or ibuprofen.’
1960s: from elements of the chemical name.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.