One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people of southern Nigeria.
- ‘According to notes by Harris dating to 1954 (supplied by Eli Bentor), an Igbo informant told him that all of these were made by Ibibio.’
- ‘Edwin Ardener assessed the number of fishermen in the Victoria division in the early twentieth century to be about 7,500, mostly Duala, Ibibio, and Ijo.’
- ‘Nigeria also provided slaves for Barbados, the Yoruba, Efik, Igbo and Ibibio being the main ethnic groups targeted.’
- ‘The Ibibio primarily live in the Cross River State of southeastern Nigeria.’
- ‘The marks on each temple in that mask and the one shown here are similar to those found among masks of the Igbo and Ibibio.’
- ‘Other large ethnic groups include the Ibibio, the Ijaw, the Kanuri, the Nupe, and the Tiv.’
- ‘Other smaller groups include the Fulani, Ijaw, Kanuri, Ibibio, Tiv, and Edo.’
- ‘This kind of caste system is also found among the Yoruba and the Ibibios.’
2mass noun The language of the Ibibio, belonging to the Benue-Congo group and closely related to Efik. It has around 2 million speakers.
- ‘English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.’
Relating to the Ibibio or their language.
- ‘The Aro people are the result of the mingling of several Igbo, Cross River, and Ibibio ethnic elements.’
- ‘North of this coastal area occupied by Delta, Ogoni, and Ibibio peoples is the hinterland dominated by the Igbo.’
- ‘He designated them as Ibibio masks.’
- ‘Its origin is ascribed to two local slave dealers who traveled beyond Arochukwu to the Ibibio area.’
- ‘The facial features of the Duala sculptures differ from those in the Ibibio and Ijo works.’
- ‘Oracular activities, trade, and a network of settlements have extended the Aro reach over the Cross River, Ibibio, and Igbo areas.’
- ‘And finally the formal conventions present in Duala, Ijo, Ibibio, and Efik art probably dispersed in the same manner as they do today.’
- ‘This finely rendered male Ibibio marionette is relatively naturalistic in form, with rounded muscular contours.’
- ‘Many of these masks are in the style of the Ibibio carving center Ikot Ekpene, although they may actually be locally made.’
The name in Ibibio.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.