One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Deficiency in the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues.
- ‘Increased hypoxia in local tissues, marked oedema of the toes, or development of venous hypertension may be involved.’
- ‘This is not easy, as too little fluid will cause hypoperfusion whereas too much will lead to oedema that will cause tissue hypoxia.’
- ‘These hemorrhagic and hemolytic events would result in tissue hypoxia that would, in turn, stimulate erythropoiesis.’
- ‘Oxygen is cheap, widely available, and used in a range of settings and conditions to relieve or prevent tissue hypoxia.’
- ‘The hypothetical role of tissue hypoxia also needs to be explored.’
- 1.1 Oxygen deficiency in a biotic environment.‘aquatic hypoxia’
- ‘Emersion results in hypoxia in many aquatic crustaceans.’
1940s: from hypo- (denoting an element in a low valency) + oxygen + -ia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.