One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The condition of having an abnormally (typically dangerously) low body temperature.‘she was suffering from hypothermia’
frostbite, coldView synonyms
- ‘It is when body energy is exhausted that hypothermia becomes potentially life-threatening.’
- ‘As with heatstroke, hypothermia and frostbite victims should always be given medical help.’
- ‘Whether it was the beginnings of altitude sickness, hypothermia, or simply fatigue I have no idea.’
- ‘The couple had succumbed to a combination of infection and hypothermia.’
- ‘The winter could bring hypothermia, pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- ‘below’ + Greek thermē ‘heat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.