One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- North American term for hypostasize
- ‘Unfortunately, our modern consciousness wants to hypostatize nature - to grasp clearly and unambiguously what this ‘thing’ is so that we can preserve it.’
- ‘Similarly, when it comes to the peaceniks, they end up hypostatizing the idea of peace as a state of pure, positive activity.’
- ‘If we do not wish to hypostatize the world or ontologize the subject by making either one a ground, then the relation in question must be independent of their terms.’
- ‘Barth's philosophical skepticism is rooted in the belief that ‘reality’ is our ideas about ‘reality’ hypostatized.’
- ‘She notes that the link hypostatizes and embodies the ‘bonds… to a cultural identity and collective past.’’
- ‘But there is also self-reflection in the emancipation-oriented sense, self-reflection as releasing the subject from dependence on hypostatized powers.’
- ‘The method, as contradictions accumulate, is then rather fantastically hypostatized as the efflux of decadence itself.’
- ‘We must beware of hypostatizing the ‘market’ as a real entity, a maker of inexorable decisions.’
- ‘In any case, Albert avoids hypostatizing these modes by explaining them as relations between the things to which the terms refer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.