Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Treat or represent (something abstract) as a concrete reality.‘if religion is beyond speech or predication, as Gandhi affirms, can it be hypostasized?’
- ‘Nozick protests that he does not, as Hacking charges, describe rationality as a ‘hypostasised entity.’’
- ‘The clown, the early counterpart of the trickster, would have in ritual the role of evoking the violation of taboo, hypostasized in myth.’
- ‘The practical circumstances of this ‘emancipation’ could not be sustained in the hypostasising jargon of meaning.’
- ‘To posit a rupture is to hypostasize a piercing through; an Aufhebung which neither lifts up nor preserves the dialectic.’
- ‘Love as God's mode of existence ‘hypostasizes’ God, constitutes his being.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.