Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bevel wheel with teeth engaging with a spiral pinion mounted at right angles to the wheel's axis, used to connect non-intersecting shafts in vehicle transmissions and other mechanisms.
- ‘Normally all spiral bevel cutting machines have the provision for hypoid also but capacity for producing hypoids depended on gear size.’
- ‘Inside the diff, the hypoid ring-and-pinion gear is connected to the left and right half shafts via an electromagnetic clutch on each side.’
- ‘The swivels, rear end, and transfer case needed hypoids and we used up all we had filling those chambers.’
- ‘The hypoid gear places the pinion off-axis to the crown wheel which allows the pinion to be larger in diameter.’
- ‘High-ratio hypoids are gaining in use because they can be ground for greater accuracy.’
- ‘To be suitable for use with hypoid gears, a lubricant must be capable of resisting high pressures.’
- ‘People have fitted hypoids and used stiffer springs to limit the travel.’
- ‘Bevel and hypoid gears may be used to transmit power between shafts at practically any angle and speed.’
- ‘The hypoid saw has specially heat treated beveled steel gears unlike the bronze alloy gears of the worm drive models.’
- ‘It is essential that hypoid gears should be lubricated with Omega 690 gear oil suitable for severe loading.’
- ‘Transmissions commonly use spur gears, while hypoid gear designs are usually employed as the main gearing in differentials.’
- ‘I will not buy any other brand of saw due to the shear power beating out heavier worm drives and hypoids.’
- ‘No matter what you call them, wormdrives, hypoids, and sidewinders do the same thing, just differently.’
- ‘When driving in heavy traffic the hybrid car may loose up to 10% of fuel only because of the hypoid gear.’
- ‘We have been trying shot peening on our hypoid gears to increase their fatigue life.’
- ‘As I understand it, the process for hypoids is a generating process, and as such is pretty much relegated to a machine specially made for it.’
- ‘The author applies his new method for tooth contact analyses on spiral bevel and hypoid gears.’
- ‘I also know that a hypoid gear set is used in my NH baler, connecting the flywheel to the rear driveshaft.’
1920s: perhaps a contraction of hyperboloid.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.