One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deficiency of glucose in the bloodstream.
- ‘The patient may have obvious associated illness with fever, dehydration, hypoglycemia, anemia, or evidence of thyrotoxicosis.’
- ‘Patients with diabetes experiencing nocturnal hypoglycemia may have night sweats without other hypoglycemic symptoms.’
- ‘A significant correlation was found between neonatal hypoglycemia and high maternal glucose levels during labor.’
- ‘Beta blockers can impair glucose tolerance, block the symptoms of hypoglycemia and delay recovery from a hypoglycemic episode.’
- ‘The glucose level should be determined to rule out hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia and to help diagnose occult diabetes.’
Late 19th century: from hypo- ‘below’ + glyco- + -aemia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.