One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Underground; subterranean.Compare with epigeal
subterranean, subterrestrial, below ground, buried, sunken, lower-level, basementView synonyms
- ‘We examined sequence variation in a mitochondrial gene, ND2, from 364 individuals representing 6 hypogean and 11 epigean populations.’
- ‘Quercus seedlings have hypogeal cotyledons and tap roots, both of which act as storage organs.’
- 1.1 (of seed germination) with the seed leaves remaining below the ground.
- ‘If hypogeal, the cotyledon remains below ground at germination, feeding a tiny growing bulb from the endosperm.’
- ‘Examples of hypogeal germination are seen in oak and runner bean.’
Late 17th century: via late Latin from Greek hupogeios (from hupo ‘under’ + gē ‘earth’) + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.