One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.‘we don't go to church and we thought it would be hypocritical to have him christened’‘it would be entirely hypocritical of me to say I regret it because I don't’
sanctimonious, pious, pietistic, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, superior, insincere, specious, feigned, pretended, hollow, falseView synonyms
- ‘To begrudge them the right to choose their own government via the ballot box is hypocritical in the extreme.’
- ‘So the Congress sometimes rakes up the issue of secularism, which is so hypocritical that it is funny.’
- ‘The questions are unclear and the process reeks of hypocritical manipulation.’
- ‘But the reasons, one has to admit, are hypocritical and sometimes contradictory.’
- ‘The lack of transparency contributes to the cynicism and hypocritical views.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.