Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The enlargement of an organ or tissue from the increase in size of its cells.‘the hypertrophy of the muscle fibres’
- ‘The antioxidative properties of statins also prevent the development of cardiac and smooth muscle cell hypertrophy.’
- ‘It leads to left ventricular hypertrophy and increased connective tissue content, both of which decrease cardiac compliance.’
- ‘There may be evidence of cardiac ischemia, ventricular hypertrophy, or pericardial disease.’
- ‘Many risk factors for coronary artery disease also are predictors of hypertension, left ventricular hypertrophy, and diabetes mellitus.’
- ‘Cardiac hypertrophy - the enlargement of the heart muscle cells - can be fatal.’
Mid 19th century: from hyper- ‘beyond, exceeding’ + Greek -trophia nourishment.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.