One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having a higher osmotic pressure than a particular fluid, typically a body fluid or intracellular fluid.
- ‘Vasopressin continued to act in patients excreting isotonic or hypertonic urine, so hypotonic intake must be avoided in them.’
- ‘Neurologically they are hypertonic and may have frequent episodes of apnea.’
- ‘Being a breakdown product of hemoglobin, urine is colored by urobilinogen and is more hypertonic than plasma and more acid.’
- ‘If water flows from the cell into the stronger solution outside, the external solution is said to be hypertonic.’
- ‘In hypertonic syndromes the brain compensates by increasing osmoles in the brain cells.’
Of or in a state of abnormally high muscle tone.
- ‘When the nervous system becomes involved, the muscle tendon bundles remain hypertonic and pain reflexes in the area are activated.’
- ‘Whilst the muscles are not necessarily hypertonic in osteoporosis they are likely to have undergone fibrotic changes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.