Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal.
- ‘Extracorporeal whole body hyperthermia has been utilized for a number of clinical conditions.’
- ‘In some cases, hyperthermia (high body temperature) and convulsions can lead to death, according to NIDA.’
- ‘Dantrolene is used to treat malignant hyperthermia, a condition that bears striking clinical resemblance to NMS.’
- ‘Furthermore, the use of hypothermia blankets is associated with large temperature fluctuations and rebound hyperthermia.’
- ‘Thyroid storm is a rare disorder characterized by hypertension, hyperthermia, and multiple systems involvement.’
Late 19th century: from hyper- ‘beyond’ + Greek thermē heat.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.