Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Excessive pigmentation of the skin.
- ‘A focal area of hyperpigmentation with an associated crusted lesion was over the left midclavicular area.’
- ‘The most common complication of laser resurfacing is hyperpigmentation - skin tone that turns darker than normal.’
- ‘As the lesion progresses, the center may clear, leaving post-inflammatory hypopigmentation or hyperpigmentation.’
- ‘The hyperpigmentation in this case was due to minocycline, which he had been taking for rosacea.’
- ‘Some patients never develop the full classical triad of hyperpigmentation, hypotension, and hyponatraemia.’
- ‘This iatrogenic hyperpigmentation is associated with lipofuscin rather than melanin deposits.’
- ‘In patients with hyperpigmentation, the middle of the back is spared, resulting in a classic butterfly-shaped dermatitis.’
- ‘The picking produces excoriations which crust and may heal with hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, or scarring.’
- ‘She also offers advice on new treatment options for acne scarring and hyperpigmentation.’
- ‘Azelaic acid may be particularly effective in the treatment of acne with postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.’
- ‘The typical signs of chronic venous insufficiency include pedal edema, varicose veins and skin hyperpigmentation.’
- ‘Their clinical symptoms were primarily hyperkeratosis and hyperpigmentation, which are well-recognized signs of arsenicalism.’
- ‘Thermal injury also stimulates melanocytis, causing hyperpigmentation of healed partial-thickness burns after sun exposure.’
- ‘She also had slight hyperpigmentation and desquamation of her anterior trunk that did not involve the bikini areas.’
- ‘Some medications result directly in hyperpigmentation, without sun exposure, in a diffuse pattern.’
- ‘However, results are slow, and complications such as irritation and hyperpigmentation can occur.’
- ‘Signs may include unsightliness, hyperpigmentation, and lipodermatosclerosis.’
- ‘A series of peels is usually recommended to achieve visible results on acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, melasma and photodamage.’
- ‘Three weeks later the scaling had resolved, leaving residual hyperpigmentation.’
- ‘Sunblocks and antioxidants also remove post inflammatory hyperpigmentation to a large extent.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.