Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Long-sightedness.
- ‘Photo refractive surgery is another available treatment for hypermetropia, as is laser eye surgery.’
- ‘Doctors need to be able to distinguish hypermetropia from myopia.’
- ‘Apart from testing the eye, they supply booklets detailing eye care with particular reference to refractive errors such as myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism.’
- ‘The medical name for long-sightedness is hypermetropia.’
- ‘Contact lenses can be used most advantageously to correct myopia, but can also be used for hypermetropia and corneal astigmatism.’
- ‘Just as people have myopia (short sight) and hypermetropia (long sight), Aberropia is another refractive error.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek hupermetros beyond measure (from huper over, above + metron measure) + ōps eye.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.