Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An extension to hypertext providing multimedia facilities, such as those handling sound and video.
- ‘The present invention comprises a novel system for authoring and publishing hypermedia works.’
- ‘Computer multimedia and hypermedia offer exciting possibilities as well as unsolved problems for cultural communication and art.’
- ‘Hypertext or hypermedia are the basis of most computer-based learning materials.’
- ‘One important form of editorial comment concerns suggesting and promoting new forms of hypermedia literacies.’
- ‘One aspect of hypertext and hypermedia, for example, is its capacity to link sources in ways that disrupt the continuity of a narrative.’
1960s: from hyper- ‘above, beyond’ + media.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.