Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Abnormal thickening of the outer layer of the skin.
- ‘Corns and calluses result from hyperkeratosis, a normal physiologic response of the skin to chronic excessive pressure or friction.’
- ‘Skin biopsy typically reveals hyperkeratosis and follicular plugging, with superficial and deep lymphocytic infiltrates.’
- ‘The most common pattern of oral disease reveals a reticular network of white hyperkeratosis on the buccal mucosa.’
- ‘Most leukoplakias are caused by hyperkeratosis or a thickening of the outer keratin layer.’
- ‘Their clinical symptoms were primarily hyperkeratosis and hyperpigmentation, which are well-recognized signs of arsenicalism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.