One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Severe or prolonged vomiting.‘the clinical practicability is limited by a higher degree of side effects, especially hyperemesis’
- ‘Short-term effects of IV-CPA pulses include bone marrow suppression and significant hyperemesis.’
- ‘Cannabinoids have been found to have an antiemetic effect...but paradoxically chronic cannabis use results in hyperemesis.’
- ‘A nasogastric tube may be inserted if the child is vomiting to prevent aspiration and relieve hyperemesis.’
- ‘Because of hyperemesis shown by all cases, it was difficult to estimate the amount of sulphadiazine actually absorbed.’
- ‘Wernicke's encephalopathy is often associated with alcohol abuse, the processes involved being a lack of adequate oral intake, hyperemesis and malabsorption caused by gastrointestinal lesions.’
- 1.1 Persistent severe vomiting leading to weight loss and dehydration, as a condition occurring during pregnancy.‘hyperemesis gravidarum occurs in approximately 0.5 to 2 per cent of pregnancies’
- ‘Compared to some, I have little to moan about: there are women out there suffering from hyperemesis, which can lead to severe weight loss and dehydration.’
- ‘I was diagnosed as having hyperemesis gravidarum, a severe and constant form of morning sickness.’
- ‘Hyperemesis is a serious condition; the dehydration that results from repeated nausea and vomiting can put both baby and mother at risk.’
- ‘In hyperemesis gravidarum, hospital treatment is often needed to stop the dehydration by giving fluids through an intravenous drip directly into a vein.’
- ‘Throughout my pregnancy I have suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum.’
Mid 19th century: from hyper- ‘above normal’ + emesis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.