Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An inhabitant of the extreme north.
- ‘We restricted our density calculations to birds on the water, with the exception of glaucous gulls (Larus hyperborean).’
- 1.1Greek Mythology A member of a people worshipping Apollo and living in a land of sunshine and plenty beyond the north wind.
very cold, bitterly cold, bitter, freezing, frozen, frosty, icy, icy-cold, ice-cold, chilly, wintry, bleak, sub-zero, arctic, siberian, polar, glacialView synonyms
- ‘The Scythians and the Hyperboreans (sometimes the Aethiopians) were the noble savages of the Ancients.’
- ‘The last point of the ‘northern twist of the axis’ of which the griffins are said to be the ‘figure’ is the Hyperborean paradise.’
- ‘This island is inhabited by the Hyperboreans there is also on the island a magnificent sacred precinct of Apollo.’
- ‘He is cast or casts himself on a pyre, but is miraculously saved by Apollo and translated to the land of the Hyperboreans.’
Relating to the extreme north.
chilly, cool, freezing, icy, snowy, icy-cold, glacial, wintry, crisp, frosty, frigid, bitter, bitterly cold, biting, piercing, numbing, sharp, raw, polar, arctic, siberianView synonyms
- ‘After hearing a glopping sound hit the snow covered ground, Hugh's skinless face begins scanning the hyperborean terrain for his epidermal layer.’
- ‘Its grid plan, zoned districts and splendid Nevsky Prospect created a strange kind of hyperborean vertigo in those who contemplated it.’
- ‘The streets are quite chilled, inside my head is brisk at best and the beat, well, the beat is positively hyperborean.’
Late Middle English: from late Latin hyperboreanus, from Greek huperboreos, from huper beyond + boreas north wind.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.