Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Abnormally heightened sensitivity to pain.
- ‘These mediators and the related tissue injury prolong pain and hyperalgesia.’
- ‘They also act as mediators of inflammatory hyperalgesia.’
- ‘The mechanism for the pain may involve the development of an area of hyperalgesia as a result of myofascial stretch injury.’
- ‘Intravenous opiates or ketamine administered before incision can lead to decreases in wound hyperalgesia days after the surgery.’
- ‘Neurogenic inflammation is a process by which sensory nerves may secrete inflammatory mediators, resulting in hyperalgesia and inflammation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.