One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A writer of hymns.
- ‘This hymn was written originally in the year 720 by St. Cosmas, one of the greatest hymnographers of the Christian Church.’
- ‘As a hymnographer St Theophanes belongs to the tradition of the monastery of Mar Sabbas, near Bethlehem.’
- ‘St. John of Damascus, who reposed in 749, is known as one of the great theologians and hymnographers of the Orthodox Church.’
- ‘The arrangement of ecclesiastical chanting into tones was entirely the work of the famous hymnographer St. John of Damascus.’
- ‘Gathered about the Cross with St. Macarius and St. Helena are bishops, priests, and hymnographers.’
- ‘Used by 4th-century Syrian hymnographers, contrafacta were also written by the later authors of the Byzantine kontakion.’
- ‘Again, the great hymnographers, themselves saints, show a wonderful concentration of prophecy and fulfillment.’
- ‘His prominence in this choir of Orthodox hymnographers is emphasized in many icons of the Protection of the Theotokos.’
- ‘Like other hymnographers, Shnorhali created both the melody and the text, and chanted the music he authored.’
- ‘Any holy hymnographers of the Orthodox Church were inspired to write not only the text of the hymns but also their melodies.’
- ‘Less familiar are the women hymnographers of this period who demonstrated considerable talent in this same field.’
- ‘For this reason the hymnographers of the Orthodox Church have composed a most moving Funeral Service.’
- ‘Joseph the Poet and Hymnographer is the most prolific hymnographer in the history of Orthodox Christianity.’
- ‘Her reputation is such that she is Orthodoxy's only female hymnographer of distinction.’
- ‘Monks, and occasionally nuns, were among the most famous liturgical hymnographers.’
- ‘The hymnographer of the Church describes the mystery with these words.’
Early 17th century: from Greek humnographos, from humnos ‘hymn’ + graphos ‘writer’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.