One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A book of hymns.
- ‘Unfortunately, no details were given as to the criteria for selection of the hymnals nor were the hymnals themselves named.’
- ‘Start your library by researching other denominational hymnals.’
- ‘Therefore, congregations have had the liberty to choose their own liturgy, including their hymns and hymnals.’
- ‘You don't need six newly ordained pastors or six hundred new hymnals.’
- ‘This hymn has traditionally been the first hymn in Methodist hymnals since the time of Wesley.’
Relating to hymns.‘hymnal music’
- ‘Yet, as on ‘Children's Waltz’ and ‘Lullaby’, the wave of pastel, hymnal harmonies are hard to deny on aesthetic grounds.’
- ‘And that hymnal quality extends to other cuts such as ‘Roll Away’ and ‘Forgiveness’.’
- ‘Mikkelborg releases sudden blizzards of sound over hymnal backdrops early on.’
- ‘The simple lyric and Bass's cooing and humming give the song an almost hymnal quality.’
- ‘And yes, I've done away with the Christmas song titles, opting more for a hymnal type.’
- ‘Sounding like a hymnal Fairport Convention, Mangion's lead vocal is buoyed by Varty for help at key moments.’
- ‘Closer ‘Darkened Car’ circles back to the album's hymnal beginnings.’
- ‘Vibraphone and bass sketch the hymnal melody, joined by lush violin figures and soft digital crackle.’
- ‘She invites the audience to sing along to a plaintive, hymnal Rivers of Babylon.’
Late 15th century: from medieval Latin hymnale, from Latin hymnus (see hymn).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.