One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The doctrine that all matter has life.
- ‘In contemporary philosophical language these would be the doctrines of hylozoism and animism.’
- ‘Animism was the widespread expression of this stage, hylozoism one of its later, conceptual forms.’
- ‘I want you to be mindful of what is called hylozoism and reification in philosophy.’
- ‘Both pantheism and hylozoism are true.’
- ‘Esoteric astrology has its roots in the philosophy of hylozoism, which asserts that life and matter are inseparable.’
Late 17th century: from hylo- ‘matter’ + Greek zōē ‘life’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.